7/19/10

Infidel

Well, since everyone enjoyed Larry's post on female genital mutilation, I'd thought I'd recommend a book that gives and interesting look into the subject.  Infidel  by Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a very interesting and engaging memoir about a Somalian woman who grows up in 
Somalia, Kenya, and Ethiopia, eventually ending up in Holland to become a member of parliament.  
She details her experiences growing up Muslim, her own genital mutilation, arranged marriages,  
integrating into Western culture, and finally giving up on Islam.  She does not hold back on detail or 
her opinion.  This works to create a very interesting read, but can be frustrating when it seems as 
though she generalizes her own experience to represent the experiences of all Muslim women in Africa.  
Either she or her editor wanted to use her experiences educate Westerners on "what happens" 
to women where she's from, but she's not writing about a group of women, she's writing about herself.  
Considering that most Somlian women don't leave the country and those who do don't end up as 
members of parliament, I would say her experience is anything but generalizable. If you can get past 
the "let me educate you Westerners about the horrors of the rest of the world" subtext, it's an exceptional
book about an exceptional person.  I definitely recommend it.

6 comments:

  1. damnit Jess, why am i disagreeing w/ you again??

    I love the book and think she does a great job of educating on a subject she knows a lot about. She's pretty brilliant and tells us her agenda clearly and makes a good argument for it: Islam is not your friend. I agree w/ her based on my knowledge of the world and knowledge of my Muslim friends. While I agree that Islam is used and abused like many other systems of belief in ways that corrupt its true meaning, the it's pretty explicit in ideas of Men as worth more than women and pedophilia as normal. I think Islam can be wonderful like Christianity can be wonderful, but the systematic abuse in bad economic conditions makes it, in practice, scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are absolutely right about her life being generalizable -i don't think most women leave their country of origin to become members of the ruling elite elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry if I was not clear in my post...I agree with a lot of her opinions and what she says in the book. I LOVE THIS BOOK. I only put the disclaimer in because for readers who haven't read/known anything past this book it can give a quite limited view of Islam. Also having talked to a couple different people from FGM countries who also read this book (one also from Somalia), I found that they were quite aggravated and offended over this tone in the book. So I wanted to put the disclaimer to read it more critically.

    P.S. It's always ok to disagree with me...that's what the blog is all about

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't happen to have my copy of Infidel do you? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh, don't think so-i'm almost positive i returned it but i'll go thru my books this weekend to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you're right...I'll use blog proceeds to buy another copy, b/c I do think it's a great book that should be circulated

    ReplyDelete