7/13/10

Whoopi Goldberg....Celebrity Apologist

So let me preface this post saying that I am a HUGE fan of Whoopi's acting (Celie in Color Purple is perhaps the most brilliant and touching character ever conceived in literature and film) and from what I can tell I'd probably enjoy sharing some green tea and biscotti with her...I, knowing she doesn't like to drink, show up to her house with some fabulously italian biscotti assuming we were having coffee and then she offers me green tea and politely puts out the biscotti I brought and then we'd laugh and joke about our slightly mismatched pairing and enjoy a simply  marvelous hour of chit chat about what a wonderful person Patrick Swayze is.   LOVE IT!  Anyhoo...with all that being said, I'm not sure about Whoopi's place on the View.  She is definitely supposed to represent liberals, but I also feel she is put into the role of apologist for people's actions.  Her first day on the show, she confusingly explains that she didn't think Michael Vick understood that dog fighting was bad because he is from the deep South and apparently that's what people do here.  She later explains that she doesn't agree with what he did, but that she sees WHY he would think it was OK.  When the group was discussing Roman Polanski being arrested in Switzerland for a crime he never served time for in the US, she feels very passionate about being clear that he didn't commit "rape rape".  She claims later that she was clarifying that she was trying to point out that it was not rape in the sense that he had sex with someone who didn't consent, it was sex with a minor (However the law clearly states that someone on drugs cannot legally consent nor can a minor consent...so for someone so focused on getting the facts straight missed the mark on what the definition of rape is).  Most recently she claims that despite using terms such as "nigger" and "wetback" and blaming all the wars in the world on Jews, Mel Gibson is neither racist nor anti-semitic.  He's just a bonehead, an asshole, and a drunk.  She knows this because he's been in her house with her children. To me it's just like the excuse that someone cannot be racist because they have a black friend.  Now perhaps throwing around phrases like "nigger" and "wetback" or blaming all the worlds wars on Jews does not a bigot make, but I also haven't seen Mel take any action other than going to Whoopi's house for dinner that empowers him to use such words.  The fact that he's using them in a phone call that is pretty much the definition of misogyny, does not lead me to believe he has thoroughly analyzed the power structure of the US that makes all of the things he says so hateful.  I know that Whoopi has her role to play on the View, but I wish she were more thoughtful in how she defends people who have done some pretty bad things.  I also added a Michael Jackson defense clip, not particularly because I disagree with what she says, but because it's another example of her defending someone's actions/behaviors on the basis of him being her friend. (Michael Jackson is the only person she defends who was not proven guilty).












5 comments:

  1. I agree w/ Whoopi on all those topics. Cultural acceptance is difference in different areas, Vick gets it now but didn't initially. Gibson is an asshole, but he's not just racist, he's the type who blames everything bad on anyone he can. My dad's like that and its not a group specific thing, its just blame and easy targets meaning its not true racism. And the rape, she wasn't saying its not rape, just not the violent type and she was just trying to clarify exactly what he was accused of which apparently wasn't rape. And Jackson? maaaan, we don't know he raped children, but most white people assume he did b/c of circumstance. We absolutely do not know the facts in that case nor do we know Michael, the man. We know enough to think we know more about a public figure than we really do. If she knew him and thought he didn't do it, she kind of obligated to defend him. I don't think she a celebrity apologist, I think she has realistic opinions and doesn't bend to the wind of public favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoopi definitely has the right to her opinions, and I agree with her in the sense that these issues are more multifaceted than the way they are presented in the media. I don't think she's defending purely for the sake of defense, she knows these people and is explaining/justifying their actions. The word "racist" may not be the best singular summation for Mel Gibson because his issues are so far-reaching, but regardless, he is a mentally disturbed individual who has abused someone. It makes me furious when people say, "oh she provoked him". Someone without his type of illness would not say and do what he did, regardless of how they were "provoked". So sorry Whoopi, I don't think that "bonehead" quite cuts it. And yeah, Michael Jackson was acquitted, but there's no way in hell my kids would ever have stayed with him. Whether he actually was a pedophile or not, he also is not someone I'd say functioned at a mental capacity that would be considered within normal limits. Whoopi recognizes and admits this about him. There is always a reason, some explanation why people do the things that they do. And while it makes it more understandable, it doesn't make it acceptable. Perhaps the wrong terminology has been used with some of these cases, but that doesn't change the underlying reasons as to why it is not ok. So while I agree with some of her sentiments, she's a little too naive/forgiving for my taste. And I was personally incensed by how casually the rape clip was presented. Maybe because it didn't show the entire segment, but it seems these women bitch and get crazed over topics I'd consider pretty benign, yet calmly discuss this matter without too much emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see wanting to give insight into people she knows personally that the other people on The View do not...it's much different when a person you are friends with does something awful than a person you don't know. I definitely appreciate Whoopi's compassion and willingness to defend her friends. My argument is that when she does it on The View it makes her look like she is skirting the issue they are talking about to defend her friends. I can actually see where she's coming from in all of the clips except the Mel Gibson one. I completely agree with Kate in that she undermined his abuse by calling him a bonehead/asshole. I think if she wanted to defend him as not being a racist she needed to come out and say "He clearly has something psychologically wrong with him here. He needs help. However, knowing him when he is of sound mind I know him not to be a racist." I could get behind that sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i don't think bonehead covers it either. I'm not sure he needs help or is sick, i just think he's an asshole and gets away w/ a lot b/c he has money. i also agree that being flippant about rape is not okay. But, I actually don't think she was saying that's all Gibson is or that's where the rape ended. It sounded to me like she was just trying to get ideas and facts straight, not condoning anything. I also think that when talking about difficult situations, anything said that is not condemning the offender is seen as condoning the behavior when it is not. Getting the facts straight such as "rape" v. "statutory rape" is important to understanding the crime ie violence and pedophilia don't always go together. ..and again, about Michael Jackson, why do we think he's guilty? b/c he's weird as hell? b/c he doesn't see a problem sleeping in the same bed as children? In itself, that's not a crime, and may be completely innocent. Maybe you guys know something i don't about the case, but while i wouldn't leave my children alone w/ him or many other people, i won't condemn him as a child rapist either b/c i simply don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, just re-read your comment Kate and totally agree.

    ReplyDelete