4/21/10

Book Review: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This book was given to me by mom and it was quite a nice read. Authors Shaffer and Barrows create an charming community in Guernsey that I, along with the protagonist Juliet, long to join. I think I was most enchanted by the fact that the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society follows the same meeting decorum of the FBC: they all read a book that appeals to them, come and pitch their book to the group,  exchange the ones they like, and eat as much food (even during war time) as they can. This book was a bit of a history lesson for me, in that I never knew that the Channel Islands, part of English Commonwealth, were occupied by Germany during WWII. At the center of the novel is the brace Elizabeth McKenna who is quick to stand up to German soliders, stands on principle and as a result becomes a lifeboat for others on the island during the Occumpation of Guernsey. The book is written as a series of letters from an author in London to her editor, her best friend, and the people of Guernsey. While the storyline is quite predictable and superficial, the character development is well done entertaining and overall this book is a delightful read. Once again, I may be biased because I would like to think the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society and FBC are sister groups :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm also prone to like novels with feminist characters and this novel has them in spades: male and female!

    ReplyDelete