4/27/10

SHE-mail!

 


A tip from Jezebel, lead me to an article about John Kelly, a Joni Mitchell female-impersonator who has been performing one-woman shows singing (not lip-syncing) Joni Mitchell songs.  Here's a great article in the LA Times with both Joni Mitchell and John Kelly talking about his most recent show ' Paved Paradise: The Art of Joni Mitchell.'  I am a huge Joni Mitchell fan and I find it an enormous accomplishment Kelly is able to pull off her songs and on-stage demeanor.  I'm also intrigued because I have been watching a lot of RuPaul's Drag Race and Eddie Izzard lately, both make-up heavy and shaving enthusiasts, which is at contrast with  Kelly who stays true to Mitchell with very limited make-up and nothing shaved but the face.   I must confess after watching RuPaul's Drag Race and seeing men look WAY more attractive and made-up than I ever will be makes me feel well...homely.  So it's nice to know that there are female impersonators out there that can appreciate and impersonate the femininity of no-make-up low frills women.  The picture on the post shows Kelly as Joni Mitchell and musician Zecca Esquibel in drag as Georgia O'Keefe (Mitchell and O'Keefe were apparently friends in real life).  It makes me happy to know that you don't have to be glitzy or glamorous to be a drag icon, being awesomely talented is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment