3/17/10

I am in the mood for some SyFy...suggestions?

So Melissa sent me this article today http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/17/lord-of-the-rings-feminism
(which I saw 6 hours later on Jezebel, so way to go Melissa for being in the know) arguing the case that Lord of the Rings is a woman friendly book that should be embraced and not discarded as misogynistic.  Personally I have a difficult time with Tolkien's writing stylistically, too much description for me (which is horrible to say since I know his meticulous detail in the series is what sets him apart from many other authors).  But it reminded me that I have been looking for some science fiction or fantasy to include to my reading list, especially if it has a female heroine or a feminist slant.  The only think I've read in the past few years is Kindred by Octavia Butler, which I LOVE.  Let me know if you have any suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment