3/10/10

Inaugural Post

Hello World!!! FBC is a group of strong minded women and men (or man as of now) living, working, studying in New Orleans, Louisiana.  We started this group out of a desire to read and analyze feminist discourse as well as take our feminist critique and apply it to mainstream fiction and non-fiction.  We meet on a monthly basis and do not read the same books.  Instead of all going out and buying 10 of the same books, we all read what we want, and exchange what we like.  We pick a topic of focus for each group.  Here's a sampling of some recent topics: orgasms, Disney Princesses, home births, queer theory, pick-up artists.  The aim of this blog is to record what happens in our subsequent meetings, keep track of what we are all reading, and post articles of what's going on in the world in between meetings.  All FBC members are qualified to post and can add content on any subject at anytime.  I think this blog will add an entirely new element to our book club.  We've been working on our reading, now lets work on our writing.  We have some amazingly talented writers in our group, and I'm really looking forward to them showcasing their talent.  This blog will also allow former members who have moved away to actively participate once again..we'll be able to exchange thoughts, news, recipes, book reviews daily now and not just once a month.  I hope all you FBC members are excited as I am and I hope any other readers get a kick out of us. Thanks for welcoming us to the blogging world!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I have been thinking of you all and missing out on meetings a ton! I think this will be a lot of fun and I'm going to try to contribute as much as possible with my ridiculous schedule. Yay NOLA even though I'm quite out of the way. Much love

    ReplyDelete